Friday, July 13, 2012

Kununurra

Cathy's written up the last few blogs as I've been too exhausted even to exercise my thumb on the keypad! We went along the Gibb river road on Wednesday - a mostly unsealed road with quite a lot of corrugations and then we turned off to El Questro which is a privately owned area of land with gorges and other natural features similar to a national park. The roads there were worse and it had a few creek crossings. We went to Emma Gorge and Phil and I decided to do the gorge walk which ends at a waterfall and swimming hole. Only 1.6 km each way so I figured I could manage that. Was I wrong! It was uphill all the way and clambering over rocks big, small and huge! And it got harder and steeper the farther we went! Phil helped me all the way and we made it in the end. But the water was freezing! Too cold for either of us to swim, but we stood in it and splashed ourselves to cool off. Beautiful spot. I took a photo with my iPhone (which I need to do to post to the blog) but then erased it! Watch my Facebook for some pics. I was absolutely shattered when we got back from the walk and I'm still recovering two days later! As Cathy has already said the flight yesterday was fantastic - a little single engine Cessna that somehow squeezed six people into its tiny cabin. I felt safer than in a huge commercial plane ( I never can understand how those massive things get off the ground). What a great experience and we had such good views of the lake and the mountains. More photos will soon be on Facebook. We flew over the Argyle diamond mine too which has its own airstrip, bigger than the Kununurra airport. Our pilot told us that during the construction of the airstrip millions of dollars worth of diamonds were discovered but it was decided that it would be too expensive to dig them out, so they left them there under the runway - the only diamond studded runway in the world!
We'd love to hear news from home. Please send us a text, email or Facebook message. We can receive all three when we have a signal - which for Cathy is more often than for me as she is with Telstra and has better coverage in the remoter parts of the country.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: